14TH GENDER FESTIVAL 2019
About the Gender Festival(GF)
The Gender Festival is an open forum for likeminded individuals and organisations to come together to share experiences and knowledge, to celebrate achievements and assess challenges ahead, to strengthen networking and coalition-building, to build capacity and to contribute to public debate and plan collectively for social change from a feminist perspective. The first Gender Festival was organised in 1996; since then TGNP Mtandao, FemAct and their grassroots partners have successfully organised a series of 13 Festivals based on a variety of themes, reflecting the burning issues of the day and 2019 will mark the 14th Gender Festival. TGNP has also succeeded in organizing five mini Gender Festivals since 2010; at Kisarawe District (2010), Morogoro Rural Distict (2012), Tarime District (2014), Morogoro Rural District (2016) and Kishapu District Council (2018).
The Festival provides a unique space for activists from all walks of life to come together from every region of Tanzania, including Pemba and Zanzibar, as well as from neighboring countries of Africa and beyond.
2019 GF objectives
- To reflect and assess the implementation of the Beijing Platform for Actions and strategize on the way forward
- To reflect and assess progress on the implementation of the SDGS especially goal 5 and press for progress.
- To learn. Share experiences and strategize on how to increase women participation in decision making processes and leadership through the upcoming elections and beyond.
- To build an understanding of Macro policies at global, regional and national level, drawn from participants own knowledge and experience and how they impact marginalized women and communities from a transformative feminist perspective.
- To develop and plan on sustainable strategies for joint actions at all levels for strengthening transformative feminist movement in Tanzania, Africa, and beyond